Transfer News: Reading Sign Sporting Lisbon Captain Daniel Carrico on £600,000 Deal


Reading have announced their first and the EPL's first signing of the winter by pulling off a surprising £600,000 deal for Sporting Lisbon defender Daniel Carrico.
Reading FC Signing Daniel Carrico
The 24-year-old centre-back, who can also play defensive midfield, has been scouted by Manchester United, City and Chelsea over recent years.

However, he has barely seen the pitch this season after failing to agree terms to a new contract with his current deal which runs out in June of this year.

Carrico wrote a farewell letter on Sporting's website on Monday night.

In it he said: 'It is with mixed emotions that I write this farewell message. I'm leaving the club of my heart, where I had the privilege of graduating (through the youth ranks) and serving for several years.

'I'm leaving because I understand that I am at a stage in my career when I have to take chances. Moreover, the proposed project is extremely exciting to me and know I can succeed.'

Reading confirmed they had struck a deal for the former Portugal Under 21 international to join the Royals on an initial two-and-a-half year contract, with the option of an extra year after that.

A statement on the club's website read: 'Reading football club are delighted to confirm we have agreed a deal to sign Sporting Lisbon's club captain, midfielder Daniel Carrico.

'The 24-year-old joins the Royals to begin the club's investment in this January window. He is a versatile player and can play in the centre of defence as well as in midfield. He has signed a contract until the summer of 2015, with the option of a further year.'

Reading said Carrico, who has only made two appearances this season, will join up with his new team-mates later this week.